Monday 8 April 2013

Black Forest Cake 黑森林蛋糕

6.4.2013 (Sat)
Tomorrow is my son's birthday and I wanna bake a cake for him..in fact, this will be the second cake for him. I flipped through my recipe book and decided to bake blackforest cake with difficulty level of 5 stars! Hubby kinda 'warned' me..if no confident, we can always buy a cake from Secret Recipe..but I insisted to bake!

I have no problem baking the cake part..but when it came to the chocolate fillings and decorations part..big challenge..

Firstly, the chocolate cream..when I tried to mix the melted chocolate with the whipped cream (I whisk it), the texture was not smooth but kinda rough..I figured out maybe the chocolate wasnt melted 100% or I used the wrong method..anyhow, I don't care and just spread it on top of the cake slice.

Secondly, I wanna whisk the whipping cream to deco the cake..but don't know why, I don't seemed to be able to whisk the cream and the cream became watery in the end! I tried this 3 times and failed (previously, I had no problem in this when I baked Hokkaido Cupcake)..wasted the whipping cream..and was very disappointed with myself..I quickly googled and try to search for relevant youtubes..and managed to find out the tips..gotta chill the cream first before whisking in order for it to rise to stiff peaks..so I followed and this round, yes I managed to whisk it but not well done..Then, when I wanna spread it on the cake..the cream was not 'co-operative' at all..I can't spread it evenly no matter how hard I tried..so again, I don't really care on the 'appearance' of the cake, I just wanna cover up the cake and sprinkle with chocolate chips to hide all the flaws..

Despite all the challenges and disappointments..I wanna thank my family members for their supports and encouragements, and helping out to finish the cake..Might try again next time if my confidence level is back!


The cake looked beautiful after all the decoratios..



Ingredients
Cake
4 egg yolks
45g caster sugar (for yolks)
4 egg whites
45g caster sugar (for whites)
50g vegetable oil
50g water
75g flour
15g cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder

Cherry Fillings
120g canned cherry (cut into half)
240ml cherry liquid
60g aster sugar
1/2 lemon zest
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp rum
10g corn starch

**I didn't follow this part..instead, I just used the readily made blueberry fillings.

Chocolate cream
240g whipped cream
100g melted chocolate
1 tbsp rum

Decorations
Chocolate flakes
Strawberries ( I used dried cherry)
Icing sugar

Method
1. Cake: Mix egg yolks, caster sugar, vegetable oil and water well. Fold in flour and cocoa powder. Whisk egg white and caster sugar to stiif peak. Fold into egg yolks mixture. Pour into cake mould. Bake at 160 degree celcius for 25-30mins.

2. Cherry filling: Mix corn starch and 40ml cherry liquid finely. Bring remaining cherry liquid, caster sugar, lemon zest and ground cinnamon to boil. Pour into corn starch liquid and cook for 2 mins. Again add cherry and cook for 1 more min. Stir in rum. Pour into the tray and leave it cool.

3. Chocolate cream: Mix all ingredients together.

4. Assembly: Cut the cake into 3 slices. Spread with chocolate cream on one piece of cake. Spread black cherry paste on top. Repeat the procedure. Place one slice of cake and spread with chocolate cream. Top chocolate flakes on the surfaca. Pipe chocolate cream and place strawberries. Dust icing sugar.

Alternatively, you can refer here for a different recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment